3.04.2011

Ideas from Food Blogs

Most recipes I get from online are not on blogs, but occassionally, I will see one that hits me. The first blog recipe I was introduced to can be found here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/quesadillas-de-camarones/ (I use leftover beef roast instead of shrimp).

So, in honor of all yummy and beautiful food blogs, here's my attempt at blogging one of my all-time favorite recipes, Limonenkekse, or lime cookies, which I discovered in Germany. I am going to keep the measurements in the metric system. I used an inexpensive Ecko non-digital scale, although I got a digital scale from Christmas, which I am excited to use!

First, make a little hill of 300g flour, 150g powdered sugar, and a pinch of salt.


Next, place an egg in the middle, like a little volcano.


Cut up 200g (two sticks) of butter, and place the pieces around the bottom of the hill.


Grate the peel of one lime (or lemon, if you desire) over the top. The amazing smell of fresh lime and butter is impossible to describe or capture in a picture, but it makes every step in this recipe worth it!


Using a knife, cut the ingredients into a crumbly dough.


Knead the dough a few times into a ball, then wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Are you catching the beauty of this recipe? No bowls to wash!



While the dough is cooling, make the icing by squeezing the juice of the grated lime into a bowl (okay, one bowl to wash) and mixing it with 150g powdered sugar. Also, preheat the oven to 355 degrees.


After an hour, roll out the dough to about a .5" thick on a floured surface. Cut out cookies with the shape of your choice (I've used hearts, stars, and squares).


Bake the cookies on a sheet lined with parchment paper for about 11 minuntes.


Cool the cookies on a cooling rack. Spread apricot jam on half of the cookies, and form little sandwiches with the other half.


Frost the cookies and enjoy. The fresh citrus taste is very refreshing, no matter the season. The recipe also calls for pistacios as a garnish, but I've not used them.


Notes: This recipe made about 50 heart sandwiches. Also, the cookies are better the day after you make them (refrigerated). Any crispy, slightly over-done cookies will absorb the moisture of the jam and become soft and absolutely delicious.

Here is the source of the recipe: Our Baking Book, which I got my third year in Germany.Unser Backbuch Nr. 1. Das Backbuch für junge Leute
And so ends the "Ode to Blogs". I will still reap the benefits of all of the ideas out there, but for now I need to spend more time practicing them and less time blogging about them. :)

No comments: