3.30.2010

Reason #3: The music we sing and hear helps me worship God.

Why do I go to church?

#3. The music we sing and hear each week helps me worship God. The key word for me in this reason is "we". I can sing Christian music to myself, but there is something powerful in singing with a sanctuary full of people praising God. This past Sunday, as we sang the hymn "He Hideth My Soul", I closed my eyes to better hear everyone around me. It was a beautiful sound. It is so good to be reminded each week that there are many others who love and esteem God, as well as be reminded of God’s greatness, love, faithfulness and majesty through singing songs with rich texts. And I can sing these words to Him at the top of my lungs. What joy that brings me to proclaim who God is so loudly!

Let everything that has breath praise the LORD! Praise the LORD! Psalm 150:6

With numberless blessings each moment He crowns,
And filled with His fullness divine,
I sing in my rapture, oh, glory to God!
For such a Redeemer as mine.

When clothed with His brightness transported I rise
To meet Him in clouds of the sky,
His perfect salvation, His wonderful love,
I’ll shout with the millions on high.

He Hideth My Soul - Frances J. Crosby, 1890

No comments: